Photo courtesy of Scott Stewart/The Daily Nonpareil
Walnut Community School educated the children of Walnut for 144 years. Classes began in the Burmeister Hotel in downtown Walnut in 1872 with 25 students. In 1875 a new wooden school house was built for $5000. In 1913, after fire destroyed the wooden structure, a brick building was constructed. That original brick building remains a part of the school campus today. With enrollment numbers dropping, the 2015-2016 school year was the final year for Walnut Community School. The students of Walnut have now joined with the AHST school district to form AHSTW Community Schools, the students will attend all classes in Avoca, Iowa.
Click here to enter the AHSTW Website
Click here to read a copy of a Building Evaluation Report that was completed on the Walnut School Property.